Monday, May 30, 2011

Even the Cattle Wanted Water


It was summer hot today, a perfect afternoon to get some "heat" practice in, so I rode 20 miles starting a little after 3 in the afternoon.

Took water with me, which was a good move.

Well, the first half of the ride was not bad. I rode west to Hiawatha to catch the Cedar River Trail to the Cedar Valley Trail, and headed north on that trail for 6 miles. I had planned to do 5, but the 5-mile-marker was missing so I did one extra mile by accident.

I felt pretty powerful. It was hot, but not too hot, I was sweaty but not uncomfortable, all was going well.

Until I turned around. Forgot that a 15- to 20-mph south wind was making it hot. Well, at least the wind in my face helped cool me down, but it also made me work very hard.

Taking the photo of the cattle which were visible from the trail was an excuse to stop briefly on the return journey (and gulp the last of my water).

Still, I suppose, headwind training for RAGBRAI is a good idea!

I was supposed to be home by 4:30, but rolled in after 5. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment