Thursday, June 30, 2011

I Need A Road That Goes On and On






Bilbo was a cute character in The Hobbit, but a bit of a bore in The Lord of the Rings. Well, at least he didn’t bring the plot to an irrelevant screeching halt like Tom Bombadil, who was such a nothing that he didn’t make the Hollywood version at all, and who missed him?

Anyway, Bilbo once mused:

"Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star,
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar."

Yeah, some photos of the road going ever on. I stopped at a bit over 6 miles north on the Cedar River Trail, Thursday afternoon. I went north for a while to clear my head of some dull reporting task that had made it not such a good day.

But the report is drafted. And I can being riding more in earnest. I want to do a 60-mile ride soon (probably after I buy a spare tube, since I’ve installed a frame pump on my bike, my two recent flats making me slightly paranoid).

Blog fans, any ideas? I’m getting pretty familiar with the trails around Cedar Rapids and feel ready for another adventure. Where should my road go on?

2 comments:

  1. wow, what kind of berries are those? I know my brother and his girlfriend like to ride the trail south. I'll ask them for more info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a lot of mulberries growing by the trail, and this could be one, though I am not sure. My memory of the plant is that it was pretty bushy, so maybe a blackberry?

    ReplyDelete