Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Well, Shucks, 4 Just is Not 5


If I were running for president (and I think I'm at least as qualified as some members of the GOP field this year), the media would jump all over me.

For years, when asked how far I bike to campus, the answer has been "5 miles." See photo. Clearly, almost 4.

Shucks.

In my defense, I always was giving a wild guess based on the idea that the commutes takes 25 to 30 minutes. I neglected to account for the amount of time spent at stoplights--especially at Collins and F, where a car has to come along to trigger the light.

The wait is never huge. I use a "decade" standard for waits. If you can't complete a decade of the Rosary as you wait, the wait does not qualify as a long one, and when I've almost never gotten to a second decade before that light changes.

Still, a full stop isn't just the time spent not moving at all--it's the braking beforehand and the accelerating after. There are, on average, seven full stops on my home-to-work commute. And the commute has more and more distance if I take the trail.

So I do not feel too bad. And as for my biking record keeping, the minor upside is that the commute to the gym in the morning is longer than I thought--about 2.5 miles one way.

More than halfway to MMU...

No comments:

Post a Comment