Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Changing a Tube and Speaking French

Matt's spare bike. I fixed rear flat.

OK, I am not a mechanic. And life has a way of sending me frequent reminders.

Matt is coming home today from a conference in Wales. He owns two bikes, but one had a flat. I bought a tube for it, intending to ride it, his spare bike, but noted the rim tape hanging out. On his last day home, Matt went out to get the tape, but didn't have time to change the flat.

Since I borrowed his main bike while he was gone, I thought it would be nice for me to mend the spare bike before his return.

Well, it really wasn't all that bad. The tube has one of those irritating new slender valves that requires an adapter on the pump, and it took some fussing before I got it all figured out. And Lizzie came out to “help” for a while, but luckily Audrey took her to the park so I could finish.

In the end, the mend worked.

And I didn't have to “speak French,” in the “Blast from the Past” sense, for long.

No comments:

Post a Comment