Sunday, July 31, 2011

CR Biker Survives His First RAGBRAI


I’m back, blog friends. Yes I survived. Image is me and my son Jon at hte finish. And it was way cool, an awesome experience, great fun.

I’m sure I’ll write more later. I have ideas for a post about the language of RAGBRAI, the food of RAGBRAI and some of the sights.

But for now, let me say that RAGBRAI was grueling, a pain, a great challenge. It will be days before my knees and my butt will forgive me. My lips are burned, my nose is red, I have odd rashes in strange places.

And it was totally worth it.

The bike will go into the shop tomorrow for a post-RAGBRAI rehab. Me, I feel like it has been much more than a week that I’ve been gone.

When you’re in the middle of aRAGBRAI day, it seems to last forever. Certainly the climbs up rolling hills seem endless. The heat was hot. I’ve been through Iowa on a bike with a name, and it felt good to be out of the rain. In Iowa, you can remember you name, but the pie tastes sweet even if the borrowed lyrics are lame.

Would I do it again? Time will tell, but my tentative answer is why not? Where else can a ham ball sundae taste so good!

More images on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment