Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Biker Is Back With a Wet Back

Why I parked my bike inside, and my bike parked inside. Why 3 gnomes? My point-and-shoot has had a sick computer for a while, but seemed healed today, for some odd reason. Must be the Karma from my bike computer. I was just trying the backlit shooting mode.


There was some slosh to my rides today, but I decided to take a chance and try it.

And it wasn’t too bad. I altered my route and stayed on E Avenue headed south rather that ride my usual route west of Kenwood School. I know that the back streets were ice and snow covered, and I didn’t want to try them on two wheels.

So I took 35th Street from E to Eastern, a busier street than I usually prefer, but the employees at Rockwell-Collins were apparently at work before 8 a.m., and the traffic wasn’t bad.

I was a bit surprised, because it was foggy this morning, that many drivers didn’t have their lights on. Mine were. I had a few spots where the pavement was caked with ice and straddled my bike with my feet on the ground and skated across, but they were few and far between.

So, a bit damp, I arrived at work. The ride home was wetter but less icy—only one “skating” spot, and in this case, I was actually more sloshing through slush.

Has biking season started again? Not sure. Snow is in the forecast for Friday night and I don’t know if I’ll bother go to campus Friday at all (one term has just ended).

Still, after a long bike break, it was nice to be on two wheels. I had to wash my new vest once I got home, but the ride was pleasant. Given the amount of free pizza, scones and pretzels I ate today (thank you, biodiesel class, English class that went to Britain and MMU ACE) it was good that I rode again.

No comments:

Post a Comment