Thursday, March 14, 2013

In Which The New Gloves Are On For Spring

I've got my spring gloves on, baby. Note no coat: It was winter in the morning, spring in the afternoon.
My life as a hand model. Reaching for spring.

Today’s fashion biking news: It was winter when I left home this morning, the sky grey with a hint of potential snow. I was lucky and no flakes flew on the way to work, but when I got there I parked inside in the hallway. Snow still blocks the bike rack. Things were about to change.

By mid-day, it had cleared off, gotten sunny and some serious early spring thawing was in the air. My wife and I participated in a “pi day” walk at Mount Mercy, and trekked outdoors sans coats. It was a bit cool, but turning nice.

I had to stay on campus until about 6, getting a mid-term exam ready for Friday morning—however, with daylight savings time, the sun was low but still shining when I was ready to go. It was warm enough to bike without my coat, and I thus decided to wear new bike gloves that my sweetie got me for Christmas.

Well, I didn’t have time to take an extra long ride home on the trail. Still, it was still a very nice biking day. I think I made it home in 25 minutes, which is pretty quick for me.

The long slow winter, which was so mild back in January but has been so snow packed since, is finally beginning to yield to a new time of year. It’s not greening up yet, and I’ve yet to see a flower on my rides, but the turn today was symbolic of a larger turn coming. Or so I hope.

Anyway, I missed biking Wednesday, which was a nice weather day, due to an 8 a.m. class. I’m hoping to bike tomorrow, but will have to get an early start. Not sure it will happen—I’m picking up my daughter and her family at the airport late tonight, so we’ll see.

For today, I was happy to be biking home with no coat, wearing new bike gloves. Welcome, spring, please stick around for a while.


Tuesday, ride home. You can't see it well, but it's snowing as I near home. But, at least the flooding in Dry Creek has gone down. No spring gloves that day!



What I saw Wednesday and again today. Is it the urban eagle? It's hard to see, it's far away, but some majestic bird of prey is circling CR. During the pi day walk today, there were two, and I"m pretty sure they were eagles.

No comments:

Post a Comment