Wednesday, May 16, 2012

This One Goes Out To The Ones Who’re Gone


Well, I missed the “Ride of Silence.”  Too much grading in silence and other chores, such as delivering a candidate for a teaching job to a motel and then rehearsing bell ringing for graduation, for me to participate.

The ride was an event held in downtown Cedar Rapids this evening to remember and honor those who have been hurt or who died while bicycling, and to remind motorists to share the road.

Now, if someone on a bike dies, it may be a health problem.  Biking is prime time for heart attacks (even though, of course, it also prevents heart disease).  And when a biker is hit by a motorized vehicle, it’s not a given that the motorist is at fault, although, it is a given that, because of physics, it behooves the motorist to take care.  I’m no threat to the angry yahoos in pickups who shoot me dirty looks, but they can be a threat to me.

Anyway, I just wanted to note that I was there in spirit.  I hope the ride went well.  I hope any motorists in the area were at least respectful.

And then, to lighten the mood, here is a picture of the biking angel, a cheerful cherub who is always ready for a bike ride: my grandson Tristan seen recently at play in my living room.  By the way, we have a large tub of play clothes, from which these items were selected by Mr. T himself.  I think he does look like the biker guardian angel, does he not?


No comments:

Post a Comment