Friday, February 17, 2012

More Adventures on the Bike Built Now for Two

Looking very grown up, the young biker by the chill waters of Dry Creek in Cedar Rapids.

I unscrewed the new child seat from the bike before my morning commute today, and although the bar that supports it got in the way a little bit, it was a lot easier to ride that way. Fortunately, removing the seat, and putting it back on, are easy.

As I found out when I got home. Katy and company were waiting, and Tristan was desperate to go on a bike ride. It took only a minute or so to put the seat back on. Originally, Nikayla wanted a ride, too, but she agreed to go on a walk with mom, grandma and two babies (Audrey was also watching a younger grandson and, of course, Katy had Amelia with her).

Mr. T and I headed off on a pleasant neighborhood jaunt. It was warmer than our first ride, and I don’t think he suffered from the chill this time. We went north, crossed Boyson Road using the light in front of Bowman Woods School, randomly circled around in that neighborhood, crossed Boyson at C Avenue (Tristan could reach the light switches and activated both lights while sitting in the bike seat, something that thrilled him—like Ringo, he’s a born lever puller) and rode around the Lost Quarry neighborhood before heading home.

We beat the ladies home, and I asked if he wanted to walk behind the fence to see the creek.

Yes, he did. We strolled down to the water and just stood at the edge for a while. After five minutes or so, I asked if he was ready to leave, and he said, “no.” So I took his picture to spend a few more minutes, and then we finally headed back.

When the women got home, it turned out Nikyala still wanted a ride. It was getting a little dark, so I ran with my lights on and made it short—just a circuit of the Lost Quarry area, but she was satisfied.

When I rode with Tristan, we went up Brentwood Drive hill. I did not do what with Nikayla.

Well, the front bike seat is still a hit. Nikayla is obviously at the upper end of its capacity and won’t be able to ride in it for long, so I’m glad she was able to ride today.

And of course, Mr. T, my little biker pal, had a ball.

2 comments:

  1. like Ringo, he’s a born lever puller

    Yellow Submarine was running through my head yesterday. Coincidence?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know. There was a yellow ball in the water, too--maybe that prompted some watery Beatles thoughts ...

      Delete