Wednesday, February 10, 2016

In Which I’m Cold But See Spring

Late afternoon Saturday at Cedar Lake. I took the trail home from campus and diverted down to the lake because I could.

Wednesday bike ride to MMU: long underwear, two pairs of socks, warm boots, two shirts including a long-sleeved T, sweater, jacket, neck warmer, scarf, hat, hood and gloves.

Yes, I was reminded of A Christmas Story. Preparing to go to school was like getting ready for extended deep sea diving.

It was 5 and just a little breezy. Luckily I don’t have to bike west very much, because every time I turned to the west the Polar Express hit me in the face.

When I was going south, my dominant direction, however, it honestly was not that bad. No, really.

Saturday at the late. Ducks and more ducks.
And this follows a ride to campus Saturday that was rather warm. Ice was melting, the sun was shining, birds were singing … it was possible Saturday to imagine that spring would come. Of course, it’s possible to imagine that today, but it required much more mental effort.

Still, spring is the cards, if not yet in the air. It is staying lighter later. The bitter cold days are punctuated by late winter melts. I don’t think we will see a March like we did two years ago, which was basically February twice in a row.

True, I’m not that fond of February. But it’s a short month, and we are on the downhill side of winter now. Knock on wood.

And, according to The Gazette, plans are moving along to turn a ruined rail bridge into a bike-pedestrian crossing of the Cedar River. That will make a bike road from Mt. Trashmore to New Bo--between that and possible sprucing up of Cedar Lake, the Cedar River Trail may yet become a regional bike attraction. A spoke magnet. A chain lane. OK, I will stop.

Get here soon, new bridge, and bring some warm weather with you, too. I would like my spring more actual than imaginary, soon, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment