Saturday, October 4, 2014

In Which I Put The Briefcase In Back

Friday morning ride view of the sky. Pond at Rockwell-Collins. I have both my jacket on and I'm wearing gloves (not biking gloves, gloves to keep my hands warm). After a quick sunrise, clouds rolled in as a strong cold front dropped the temperatures all day.

My bike basket is a bit temperamental. When I put something large, like my briefcase or backpack, into it, it’s likely to come off when I try to unload.

And Friday, before a cool ride to work, I had some folders in my briefcase. Paper is heavy, and I didn't like the idea of having extra weight in the front basket.

Did it work? It did.
So, I thought, how hard would it be to bungee the briefcase in back? But I was in a hurry, so I made a deal with myself. If I could get the briefcase in place in under 5 minutes, it’s a go. Otherwise, just stuff it in the basket and get to work, you slacker.

I unclipped the strap. 10 seconds. I undid a bungee I keep in back, and put the briefcase in place, and then prepared for several minutes to struggle to try to stretch the cord. Hmmm, grunt—what?

It was, I think under a minute total. The bungee stretching required modest force, but turned out to be very quick. And the cord was tight enough I was reasonably sure the briefcase would still be there when I got to work.

It was. A small victory for your biking commuter.

Message scrawled on pillar of newsroom at Mount Mercy. All you need is love, air in your tires and some good chain lube.


No comments:

Post a Comment