Monday, January 10, 2011

The Gamble of Riding

My son, who lives in Seattle, was planning to bike to work today, despite a slightly iffy winter forecast. I applaud his spunk and hope the ride went well.

He's planning to do RAGBRAI next year, something I have not yet done. Won't next year myself, as I am planning to be in England visiting daughter, granddaughter and son-in-law.

Anyway, commuting by bike, particularly in January, always involved a bit of a gamble. Today, I'm feeling a little like I've lost it. I did not ride this morning, although conditions were OK, because snow is forecast today--and here it is noon and not a flake has fallen.

That doesn't mean it won't snow or that I made the wrong decision, necessarily--just that I'm always itching to ride and regret it a bit if I don't on a day when it turns out I could.

On the other hand, it was just a year ago that I gambled and lost--rode my bike and took a nasty spill, badly banging up my left knee.

I am trying to be more mindful of the weather this year. I probably won't be able to ride tomorrow--we'll see about Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment