Saturday, August 28, 2010

A Tale of Two Valves



I had never heard of a "Presta" valve before, and it was odd to have this technological change thrust into my life at a Wal-Mart.

Anway, I had to change the front tire on my commuting bike because the rubber on the old one had peeled off to the point where the ribbed under-tire was showing. A friend once broke his wrist when his front wheel failed-don't know if this balding tire could lead to that, but don't want to find out.

Finding a new tire proved more difficult than I thought. None at Target, finally found one at Wal-Mart, but the inner tube that I bought to go with it had a funny looking valve, which also did not fit my current bike pump.

I learned that what I've been using all my life is a "Scrader" valve. None was available for the size I needed, so I ended up buying a small hand pump that would work with both types.

Well. At least the tire has been changed!

No comments:

Post a Comment