Sunday, December 30, 2018

In Which I Praise the Twilight Light

A jogger ahead of me on the Cedar River Trail as I near J Avenue. He was pretty good--never caught up with him as I rode.
The last time I went for a winter ride, it was a grey morning before a cold rain. It was, as it turned out, a nice ride, although short to avoid the rain.

St. Ludmilla seen from Sinclair Levee Trail.
Today was a cool, but nicer day. Rain last week was followed by freezing drizzle and snow, which by Saturday left my small part of the universe slick and risky for riding. But the sun beat down this sunny Sunday, and by afternoon the temperature was well above freezing. Wherever the sun was shining, pavement was bare.

Still, there was water, ice and snow around, and I wasn’t sure if all the pavement in town would be as bare as the street and sidewalk in front of my house. So, I decided to take the winter beater today, rather than the fast road bike. I was helping to entertain grandchildren in the morning, and a nap was a post-lunch priority, so what with one thing and another it was around 3 p.m. when I opened the garage and wheeled the Fancy Beast into the driveway.

The day was windy, a little raw when I was headed south, but sunny and nice. I had a quick errand to run, and after that headed over to the Cedar River Trail in Hiawatha.

Because of the sunshine and warmer weather, plus the weekend, there was a bit more traffic on the trail. I saw a number of bikers, walkers and runners—nowhere near as many as I would on a fine summer Sunday, but still there were people out enjoying the sunshine.

The light this time of year is not long in the afternoon, although the good news, as the coldest part of winter still lies ahead, is that the days are getting longer rather than shorter. The sun was low and shadows long by the time I got to Cedar Lake.

Bridge on Cedar River Trail. Much of the trail was clear but there were times I was glad to be riding my mountain bike.

Cedar Lake.

Shadow of CR Biker at Cedar Laker.

Ice on the south shore of the lake. Turned on my lights at this point.

Cedar River as I head south.

Cedar River bridge in late afternoon light.

On the way home, colorful sky reflected in ice of small outlet of Cedar Lake.
But, since the ride around the lake was the end of my previous ride, I wanted to press on. By accident, I had left the rear light of my bike at home—I had changed the batteries but left the light in the kitchen. But, I figured, I do have a light on my helmet, plus a strand of Christmas lights on the Fancy Beast, so as I left the lake, I stopped to shoot some images of the shoreline and turn on my lights.

I headed across downtown, and neared the Bridge of Lions. My original plan was to cross the river and turn around at Sokol Park, but for some reason the desire to head down the Sinclair Levee Trail. As I turned around to head home, the sun was just touching the horizon.

That time of day as the sun sinks from view has always been about my favorite. As a boy, my fondest memories of summer are of the hazy blue twilight. One advantage of winter is that the pretty golden light and deep blue sky of the end of the day comes sooner. As I headed home, steam plumes from an agricultural factory on the west side of the river were turned a pretty coral pink.

Christmas lights were shining downtown during my return journey. When I got to Cedar Lake, it appeared geese were having some sort of noisy end-of-day committee meeting on a small patch of open water. Whatever motion Stephanie Goose had made, it was causing loud, active discussions.

Christmas lights on a street in downtown.

Christmas tree in Greene Square.
The light was fading as I neared home. It was not full dark as I crossed Noelridge Park, which is good because the sidewalk on the north part of the park is not lit, but the sun was down. It was early night by the time I was on C Avenue—late enough that the sky was turning from deep blue to black, but still too early for most stars. A planet, Venus, I presume, was twinkling by the time I got to Blairs Ferry.

I still have not had the time to go past Ely to check the new trail, but the ride today was nice nonetheless.

Sinclair Levee trail as I start ride home.

Pink light of sundown.

Flock on power lines seen on the way home.

The goose convention on Cedar Lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment