Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Chain Hurry Up, Bring My Biker Back ....

Sing it to the tune of "Train Hurry Up," a 1960s bubblegum song.

I was headed to work on Monday, when my chain broke. I don't even remember a "snap," just one second I was peddaling along, the next I was peddaling faster but going slower.

Well, I have the hardware to fix it. I stayed at work late Sunday, until 11:30 p.m., and I guess I'm just lucky teh chain snapped Monday morning rather than Sunday night.

Sadly, it means I'm missing riding on a beautful, dry, sunny, warm but not hot early fall day in Iowa. I am not sure when I'll have time to fix the chain, and I'm not confident that I will do it quickly, but it will happen soon, I hope.

This is not the first time a bike has suddenly failed me. A couple of years ago, I had the frame of a bike fail when the welds that held the back wheel sheared. Last year, my 30-year-old Schwinn became unridable when the welds holding the back brake on snapped. I still have the Schwinn--I'm hoping to find a helpful welder to fix it--but, at the moment, I have no backup bike.

Oh well. A friend had a pretty serious bike accident last week when he ran into a pedestrian on the Cedar Valley trail. The way he tells it, he sounded the biker's typical verbal warning--usually "on your left," but sometimes "on your right," depending on relative positions--but the pedestrian stepped the wrong way.

And got nailed, hurting both herself and my biker friend. Ouch.

Well, it makes a broken chain seem like not such a bad deal, after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment