Friday, November 9, 2018

In Which the Bridge is White

Ready to ride--winter bike in driveway this morning. Note snow on car and on pavement.

Snow! Late in the evening Nov. 8, a dusting of powder descended from the sky. Overnight, less than an inch of snow was sprinkled on the landscape.

The pavement was, for the most part, too warm and the snow melted and dissipated. A bit of snow collected on grassy areas and leaves, enough to give this cold November day a decidedly wintery feel.

C Avenue Bridge this morning. Those are not my tyre tracks--I have not crossed the bridge yet, so someone else was out biking, too.
But, with nothing more falling, I felt OK getting the mountain bike out this morning.

The ride to work was fine, although when I got to the Rockwell-Collins entrance, a pedestrian on the driveway to my right did a little disco dance as his feet tried to slide out from under him, and he tossed up his hands to grain balance.

It worked, he didn’t fall, but it was a reminder that not all of the melted snow on pavement disappeared. There were some icy spots.

Well, I went more slowly than usual, and reached campus.

The MMU Bike Club was to have a ride this afternoon, but I’m thinking it’s not terribly likely to happen. The clouds have rolled away into a milky sky, but the wind has picked up and it’s still cold out there.

Despite the chill, I was comfortable this morning—I know from long experience how to dress for cold biking.

So I don’t mind the snow. At least not in November. Don’t ask in March.

Parked in bike rack behind Warde Hall--very Christmasy looking bike picture.


3 comments:

  1. Joe, I really enjoy your pictures. You focus on capturing the full essence of beauty in each of your pictures. They're amazing to look at. What tips do you have for someone trying to get in photography? Also, I really enjoy that your blog posts are quite simple little chats about your ride to and from work. It's personal, but you're not overloading your audience with too many details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. The photo question is a big one--my recent bike blog posts have featured image I made with an SLR Nikon, but most of the time I use a simple point-and-shoot that probably is not much better (and maybe not as good) as many phones. Mostly, shoot a lot and aim for different angles. Practice a lot and chat with a lot of photographers, I guess.

      Delete
  2. I like snow just as much as the next person, but the way this snow caught me off guard has me wanting to wait for the snow a little longer. I am more of a snow at around Christmas time after thanksgiving type of guy. It is also freezing, which makes me enjoy the snow a little less. The pictures are nice to look at as well. The beauty of that fresh snowfall is something that cannot be traded in.

    ReplyDelete