Friday, December 4, 2020

In Which Beans Foil a Biker

Bike at C Avenue pond
Bike parked at C Avenue pond as light fades Wednesday on what would turn out to be my last ride until sometime in 2021.

I worked all day Wednesday, and although it was cool in Iowa, decided a quick ride would be in order.

Little did I know it was probably my final ride of 2020. 2020! You are so 2020.

The ride was a loopy one around the Boyson and Lindale trails. There were a fair number of people out on this cool, pretty fall afternoon. I saw one little girl riding piggyback on her mom comment on me and greet me several times.

Cat
A cat watches me as I ride on Boyson Trail.

When I got home, my wife was ready to make a kind of bean soup I like, so I volunteered to help open cans. First was a can of corn, but my opener did a poor job, so I pried the lid with a spoon. Next was the same drill with beans, but the spoon slipped and my index finger caught the sharp edge of the can lid.

A gash so deep it did tendon damage, so now my left (dominant) index finger is immobile for 6 weeks or so. It was my first time in an ER as a patient in 62 years, and after all these biking hears, it was a can of beans that has waylaid this biker.

2020!

Lindale Trail
Sunset light on Lindale Trail.

Ice on pond
Collins Aerospace building reflected in ice of C Avenue pond.

Dry creek
Dry Creek seen from side trail beside Boyson Trail.

map
Map of ride.


Finger in splint
2020!

4 comments:

  1. Well, I like seeing all your pictures so you need to get walking. Not to add insult to injury but my daughter once did that also but not with that much damage. And she was 4 at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only in 2020 would you go to ER for trying to open a can of beans, thankfully I haven't had an injury besides my bicep being strained recently. Hopefully it heals up soon!

    Donovan G

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy viewing the photographs you captured, even the finger splint picture has a good use of lighting. Unfortunately you had to go to the ER but thankfully enough it was only a finger and not your whole arm. I hope the finger recovers soon and typing doesn't become too much of a struggle!

    Josh H

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joe.

    This is the day in the life of 2020! Where a normal day can go terribly wrong in a matter of seconds. 2020 has definitely been a year to forget for everyone. I hope your recovery goes well so that you can get back on the bike ASAP!

    ReplyDelete