Saturday, April 11, 2020

In Which Raindrops Fall as I Ride Sac & Fox

Frog statue in park at north end of Sac and Fox Trail. Someone in the neighborhood changes its outfit to suit the season. Right now, it's the Easter frog.


Rain was in the forecast, but not for this morning, so I decided, of course, that Saturday is all right for biking, get a little action here.

I had not been to the Prairie Park Fishery nor the Sac & Fox Trail, and, although I prefer to have the mountain bike for the S&F, I was just in the mood. I still wanted the widest possible tyres, so I chose the hybrid bike over the road bike for today's ride, and I am glad I did.

On the way, I stopped by MMU. A librarian, Robyn Clark-Bridge, maintains gardens by Busse Library, and I was hoping some of the spring bulbs she planted there would be blooming. I came onto campus by Warde Hall, and shot some images of the flowers near there and then shot some more images in the Grotto of Sorrows.

Grotto of Sorrows, Mount Mercy University, as I pause my bike ride to take images of flowers, I am being hunted.


Robyn's Garden, MMU library. Bulbs planted last fall in bloom.

Bicycle parked near MMU library.
Messing around at MMU Grotto--biker fashion show. My first ride this year with my summer gloves on.


Bike fashion. RAGBRAI shirt, bandana that I pulled up in crowded areas.

Then it was off to cross campus to the library. Robyn’s Garden did not disappoint, with daffodils blooming in robust yellow spring glory.

I then headed from campus over to the Cedar River Trail. It was fairly busy near Cedar Lake, which despite the grey skies was not a surprise.

Fortunately, I was socially distant when riding through downtown. Past the federal courthouse, there was a sign that part of the trail was closed. And when I got to 12th Street, the trail was closed as advertised, although in contrast with Hiawatha, the city of Cedar Rapids had a clearly marked detour.

Goose at Cedar Lake.

Passing through downtown, spring flowers near Greene Square.


Trail is closed, but Cedar Rapids has a detour set up. Hiawatha? It's the same dang trail ...



I wasn’t going to cross the Bridge of Lion at 12th Street anyway. Instead of the detour, I rode along the trail atop the flood control levee to the site where a future biking bridge is planned.


From there, I headed north to Otis Road. It’s a popular road with bikers which goes along the Cedar River. There was a fair amount of traffic, and I wondered if they were going where I was going.

Outlook on levee trail, looking back to Cedar River Trail and closed Bridge of Lions.

Levee trail.

Ruined rail bridge, they plan to take it out and use foundation to build new biking-walking bridge.

Another view of bridge.

The Prairie Park Fishery is a city park with a trail around a small lake adjacent to the Cedar River. I rode halfway around the lake, and at the east end, encountered a small side trail that leads to the Sac & Fox Trail.

The Cedar River Trail, city streets and the Prairie Park Fishery were all paved. The Sac and Fox, in contrast, is limestone, and sometimes a bit treacherous. Several years ago, my nickname for the Sac & Fox was “flat tyre trail,” because every time I rode my hybrid bike on it, I got a flat tyre. That was a previous bike, and for some reason my current hybrid, while not as good as my mountain bike, can handle the trail.

My biggest worry, because the trail is very rutted, is that I might bust a spoke, but I was lucky.

The parking lot at the Prairie Park Fishery had been fairly full. I encountered plenty of walkers, runners, skaters on that trail, and had my face bandana deployed.

Otis Road on way to Prairie Park Fishery. Some traffic.

No siren sounded, which is good since I don't have a radio on my bike.


Milkweed at Prairie Park Fishery.

Trail at Prairie Park Fishery.

Busy parking lot at Prairie Park Fishery.

Lake and Trail at Prairie Park Fishery.

As I rode up to the Sac & Fox Trail, a sign said it was closed due to flooding. Well, shoot. But a jogger was leaving the trial as I rode up, and I asked him. He said he had just traversed the whole trail, and there was no closing or flooding.

There had been, in the past. The first third or so the trail parallels the Cedar River. Where Indian Creek runs into the river, the trail turns to parallel the creek.

Along the way, I passed a rather fast runner, wearing Cedar Rapids Washington Track clothes.

I paused now and then to shoot images, and the runner would pass me. And then I would pass him.

As I neared the north end of the trail, 7 miles after it began, sprinkles started. I stopped at the end of the trail to quickly eat some nuts and drink some water, and the runner finished the trail. From a safe distance, we chatted, and  he wished me luck. The rain was now coming down.

Street bridge along Sac & Fox Trail.

No flooding, as it turned out.

Sac & Fox Trail, a bit rough for hybrid bike.

Along the Cedar River on trail.

Some traffic up ahead. Much of this trail will be shady when the trees leaf out.

Low point of trail, near where Indian Creek runs into Cedar River. There has been some washing out here, but there is still a ride-able path.

Rail line crossed trail on a bridge--train going by. At intersection of Indian Creek and Cedar River.

Mouth of Indian Creek flowing into Cedar River.

Same train.

It's not the best riding, but Sac & Fox is pretty and I usually visit it several times a year. Open areas have lots of wildflowers in summers, great place to see birds and butterflies.

Sac & Fox crossed Indian Creek several times on bridges like this.

Open area of trail.

Closest proximity to creek.

Same spot, looking other way at Indian Creek.

My route home was along Cottage Grove Avenue Southeast, a 35 mph road that isn’t ideal for biking and can be busy, but traffic was fairly light.

The biggest issue was the hill. Cottage Grove has one of the most daunting hills in Cedar Rapids, which I sometimes have climbed on hot summer days when I’ve been to the trail.

The only thing a bit more challenging that ascending said hill on a hot day is to ascend said hill as a chilly spring rain fell.

Decorations in yard at Cottage Grove Road. 
Not sure you can see it well--in my rear view mirror, the Cottage Grove Road hill one of the highest in Cedar Rapids.

Flowers on fruit tree by the street, seen as I ride home. I'm about 3 miles out, getting quite wet but enjoying spring.

 


Up, I went. Honestly, it was actually one of the easier climbs I’ve had on this route, despite wet pavement. I guess there is something to be said for cool.

The rain never became heavy, but I was several miles from home and got rather soaked before getting there.

Despite the damp, the almost 25-mile ride was a nice way to spend a good chunk of Saturday.


24.9 miles, over 900 feet of climb. Respectable ride for an old man.

No comments:

Post a Comment