Monday, December 23, 2019

In Which the Eve of the Eve Features 25 Miles

The time is wrong--it was after 2 p.m. when I finished although 11:13 could be the start time. Data on today's ride on the bike computer (above). Below, I wear gloves to ride this time of year, but usually winter gloves, not biking gloves.


Warm, dry weather continues. We’ll have a tender Tennessee Christmas in Iowa this year (I know there’s more snow in Colorado).

Today featured milky sunshine and breezy weather. The morning was frosty and the pavement wet, but by 11, I decided to head out on a bike ride. The goal today was to rake the backyard, but it was so nice out I decided the yard will still be there later—the siren call of the bicycle trail was too strong to resist.

So I got out my road bike, Argent, and headed over to the trail. Along the way, in Hiawatha, I noticed a house with a sleigh set to be pulled by bicycles.

Bike-themed Christmas decorations.



Would ET guide the sleight tonight? “ET with your digit so bright, won’t you make bikes fly tonight …”

I decided to head north, since I don’t often go that way this time of year. Typically, the county does not snow plow bike trail north of town, and honestly, I don’t expect them to—but with the weather so warm, I figured the trail would be clear.

And it was.

Seen along the Cedar River Trail north of Hiawatha today (above and below). I saw a blue jay, but it proved too quick for me to capture its image.




It was midday on a Monday. There were some bikers and runners out on this unusually warm winter day, but the trail was pretty quiet.

I set an easy pace, and rolled up north to Lafayette. I went about a mile north, to the busy county road one encounters north of Lafayette, and there turned back.

I enjoyed the ride. It was only 25 miles, although that’s a good distance at this time of year. I got back by 3 (the time on the bike computer is several hours off), and after a quick bite, I took a long nap.

Not a bad way to spend the eve of Christmas Eve. May all your rides be merry and bright, and may all your Christmases feature pleasant 25-mile bicycle rides.

It's the brown time of year, but still plenty that's pretty to see. Milkweed seeds (above) and grass (below) along the Cedar River Trail north of Hiawatha.



No comments:

Post a Comment