Thursday, June 27, 2019

In Which I Ride a RAGBRAI Distance

The ride today. Rode 20 miles north and back again, and then back and forth in town for the final 20 miles.
 The 60-mile bike ride passed rather slowly today. Marriott’s Way, the trail I was riding on, was sometimes narrow and muddy, so as trail miles go, much of the ride was below 10 mph.

I rode 60.81 miles in 6 hours, 50 minutes for an average speed of 8.9 mph. All of my miles on paved trail averaged over 10 mph, all on dirt trail under 10 mph.

Still, my goal was to achieve a RAGBRAI-like distance of 60 miles, so today was a win, if a slow win. There was also 1,232 feet of climb. More than I would have thought, the ride was mostly flat. The day was cool and cloudy, with the sun just showing at the end, but English countryside is pretty and smells fine at this time of year, so I enjoyed the journey even if I was a bit mud splattered.

Anyway, I’m rather beat right now, so for the rest of this post, here is a gallery of images of today’s long ride:

10-mile or so break. RR art and rental bike.

I assume old RR marker nearby.

A few rails left at sort of a museum at old station.

Pretty ride, slowed by muddy trail.

Several minor issues after station. Signs confuse me and I turn down country road, off trail, by mistake. And hard shift on unexpected uphill causes chain to jump off gears. I get it back on--hand after grass wipe.

Country road. Two-way traffic. No place for bicycles!

Did not go far before turning back. Sign on road.

Have turned around and am on way back. Passing horse riders. They said it was OK to take their picture.

Point where I turned back. Trail comes to T with road, not sure where route goes from here and I'm 20 miles from Norwich--head back to town.

I have not seen a warning sign like this in Iowa.

Pictures not in sequence any more. This is early in ride, another muddy trail view.

At one spot, rail shows in trail. I assume it is deliberate.

Back in town, final rest before last 10-mle push. I make images of bugs in wild roses.

On an overpass-planted with flowers, over a busy 4-lane highway. Plane shows we are getting close to town again.

Final miles, back and forth on paved trail in Norwich. Sun finally starts to peak out late in the afternoon.
Trail is sometimes pretty narrow out in the country.



No comments:

Post a Comment