Friday, November 27, 2020

In Which It’s Looking Like Christmas

Cedar River Trail
Walkers and Bikers on trail north of town. Long afternoon shadows.

Late November in Iowa—a cool afternoon. Around 2:30, I take a break from post-Thanksgiving grading, and get the hybrid bike out. Temperature in the upper 30s, so I have coat, hood and gloves on.

I decided to head north. I wasn’t sure if I would go all the way to Lafayette, which is a bit over 20 miles as a round trip, but the day was enticing. I was riding into a cool headwind, which slowed and chilled me a bit, but I was still enjoying the sunshine.

The Cedar Valley Nature Trail north of Cedar Rapids had some joggers, bikers and walkers on it, but was pretty quiet. I rode at a steady, slow pace, just taking in the quite brown beauty of Iowa in late fall. It’s not the prettiest time of year—the leaves are gone, and although the grass is still tinged with green, most plants have died back in the cold.

Robins trail
I rode the small trail that leads to Troy Park in Robins, but it's still closed by a mountain of ground derecho wood. I've turned back towards the main trail, shadows on the way.

Bike at Lafayette
Bike parked at Lafayette. I've just turned on lights for ride home.

But in the afternoon golden light, the harvested corn fields were almost glowed. About 5 miles north, I ran into Cardinal Village, a short stretch of the trail where, for some reasons, several cardinal couples reside. Cardinals live north of Robins.

The light was definitely faded when I got to Lafayette. I got off the bike for a few minutes, and flipped on my lights before taking off again.

Seeds
Fluffy seeds glow in afternoon light beside the trail. I shot these near restroom at County Home Road, where I stopped.

Low sun on trail
Sun close to the horizon bathes trail in golden light (above and below).

Sunset on trail

It was dusk when I got back to town, fading into full night. Christmas lights shone from some houses. I detoured into a neighborhood where one of my younger sisters lives, and looped around a block where there is the house that in past was so lit up it probably interfered with aircraft navigation and was visible from the space station.

Sadly, I saw no lights there this year.

Moon
Moon rising as I head home. This is in Hiawatha, I think.
Water tower
I noticed a new side trail in Hiawatha and took it--but it was just a little stub leading to a nearby street. Moon rises over water tower at trail's end.

Geese
Just north of Tower Terrace Road, not far from Boyson Road trail head, geese fly overhead to land in harvested corn field, seeking bedtime snack, I assume.

Well, there were other lights, and it was a pretty night. I admired the not-quite-full moon and shot some images of lights.

It was good to get out and work off some of the holiday feasting, although, to be honest, the feasting on leftovers was in full swing when I got home.

Christmas Lights
Christmas lights on the western edge of Cedar Rapids, seen as I ride home.

Moon and street light
Waiting for light to change at corner of Boyson Road and Council Street, I amuse myself by making image of streetlight and moon. Was surprised it turned out without a tripod.

Christmas Lights
Rode by my daughter's house on the way home--lights on a fence near her house.










No comments:

Post a Comment