Saturday, August 29, 2020

In Which the Week Finishes with Hot Rides

Cupola of Warde Hall
Cupola of Warde Hall on sunny Thursday afternoon, seen from street as I ride my mountain bike home.

The heat has finally broken in Iowa, but due to family things, I didn’t get a ride today, the first nice, cool day. Tomorrow is my birthday. I hope to celebrate with at least a 15- to 20-mile ride.

My most recent rides were Wednesday and Thursday, both hot days.

I contacted the city Wednesday to complain about city debris trucks dropping branches, and received a nice reply with a promise to try better, which I hope helps keep us all safe. I had a near miss when a truck passed me, and dropped a branch not far enough away to make me comfortable.

As you can see from Wednesday’s pictures, there is a huge mess still to clean up here after the Aug. 10 derecho super thunderstorm:

Wrecked house
Seen across the street from MMU campus--house that was wrecked in storm.

Debris and street.
Streets are narrower. Fortunately, I know the quiet ones to ride.

Dead end
Street that should lead out of a neighborhood to C Avenue does not. Person on corner made a warning sign.

Another wrecked house
Some people lost so much. A burned spot between two houses where once there was another house.

Dead end
I carry two cameras--one a wider angle point-and-shoot. Wider angle look at sign.

Branches on C Avenue
Tree debris left by passing trucks on C Avenue.

C Avenue bridge
I am glad I was not crossing the C Avenue Bridge near my house when this rolled off of a truck! Another view below.

C Avenue Bridge

I thought I would take some different images Thursday. I rode my mountain bike—I just felt as many branches as I was encountering on the ride, I wanted the wider tyres. And, though my slowest right, in many ways it’s the most fun to ride.

I enjoyed some pretty views that day, not focusing so much on the destruction. Some pretty hosta flowers are in bloom by the bike rack at work, and I parked there.

And as I was leaving, made an image of a bee in one of the flowers. I then removed the bike, attempting to do so gently so as not to disturb the bee.

But I may have. Suddenly, I have a nasty swollen area on the right side of my face, which has gotten very sore the past two days. I didn’t feel a sting at the time—but I think I may have one anyway.

No matter. My face is starting to heal, faster than the campus or the city, I’m sure. But we’ll all heal. And biking helps. A few Thursday images:

Bee on hosta
I am getting ready to leave campus, bee visiting hosta by my bike. I think it may have got me, should have waited a few more minutes.

Hosta and bike
Parking bike on Thursday.

Mercy Drive
Passing trucks clearing brush on Mercy Drive, MMU campus, as I go to work Thursday morning.

Bike on driveway
Thursday's ride--the Fancy Beast mountain bike on the driveway.

No comments:

Post a Comment