Sunday, February 23, 2020

In Which I Enjoy Warm Rides Before the Storm

Data from today's ride--14.5 miles for Sunday. I'm sure I topped 30 miles for the two-day weekend.


We were lucky in Iowa this weekend. A winter storm is bearing down on the state, and Tuesday and Wednesday this week the wind will pick up and lots of white stuff will fall from the sky.

But this weekend was a preview of late March and early April. The late February sun warmed the melting snow cover and the temperatures flirted with 50.

On Saturday, I rode my road bike down to Lucky’s to meet with family members for lunch. Later, in the very late afternoon, I put the child seat on the hybrid bike and gave a grandson a ride to DQ in Hiawatha. It was full dark by the time we finished our treat, and he rode home in a car with his mom, but heading to DQ with a chatty 4-year-old was fun.

Today, I wrote a quiz for a Monday morning class, and around 4:30 p.m. left home to go print it. I took a rather indirect route, going over to the Cedar River Trail again, and circling Cedar Lake before I headed to the Mount Mercy campus to print the quiz.

Some sky views from the Cedar River Trail and Cedar Lake from the Sunday ride.




I may ride to work Monday, but I doubt this week will be as good for biking as the last week was.

Still, it was a nice to have a foreshadowing of spring, which is inevitably coming. One more week of February and a winter storm before we get there, though!


Cedar Lake, Feb. 23.

Deer watches as I ride down Cedar River Trail.

Rounding the south end of Cedar Lake.

Birds and water at north end of Cedar Lake.

Another view of duck. I think it's the same one, and I didn't reverse an image--duck swan in a circle.

Coming in for a landing on ice near water at Cedar Lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment