Thursday, May 24, 2018

In Which I See Strange Critters on the Summer Trail

Goose on the watch for dangerous bikers near Cedar Lake.

I was hoping to go 40 miles today, but it took a bit longer than I expected to get going this morning. Instead of leaving home by 8, it was pushing 9 by the time I left home, and I was due back by around noon.

It was muggy and warm. I started by riding the Brentwood hill a couple of times, and then headed over to the Cedar River Trail. I stopped about an hour into the ride at the park there, and shot some images of Goose families that were hanging around, occasionally honking in an unfriendly manner.

After  snack and refreshing my water supply, I was off again.

Downtown is a bit weird these days, with detour signs and trail closed warnings that are sometimes serious, sometimes just some odd public works humor. It seemed to take a while to work my way through downtown, but things improved after I got near the federal courthouse.

I crossed at the Bridge of Lions, and passed some city workers painting lines on the trail. A bit farther on, a man passed me, and then encountered a young deer by the trail. The deer, instead of immediately heading into the woods, appeared to parallel and pace the biker before jumping around on the trail and finally bounding off into the trees.

Deer jumping on Cedar River Trail.
It was about 10:40 by the time I reached the city park past the private pond. There, I ate some nuts and an apple, watered up again, and then headed for home.

The critter encounters weren’t completely over yet. As I passed along Cedar Lake for the second time, headed north this time, I noticed a rather large turtle just sitting in the grass beside the trail. I made some images of the turtle before heading on.

In the end, I rode 35 miles, which is not a bad ride. This weekend will feature some genuine heat. I think the practice ride today went well, and soon I’ll have a change to get used to some hot rides.

Flowers, peony and phlox on trail.


Turtle near Cedar Lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment