Wednesday, May 30, 2018

In Which 44 Miles Is Slightly Damp

Bridge of Lions, headed south,but wondering about that sky ...

It rained overnight, and there was a good chance of rain again today, but it was expected later in the afternoon.

So, after a morning trip to Anamosa to see a grandson’s racing club at elementary school complete the last mile of a marathon run one mile at a time, I was ready to hit the road—or bike trail.

It was about 10:30 a.m. by the time I left home on my road bike, and my goal was to be back by 2:30 for both lunch and nap purposes (sleep is very important to CR Biker, and naps are golden).

I rode over to the Cedar River Trail. Since my last longer ride had been to Center Point, I headed south. While I was still north of the river, I encountered a tiny injured bird on the trail. It was not too hurt to fly a little, and pathetically would soar up about 6 feet before landing back on the trail, taking a breather and then again failing to fly off.

I grabbed a leaf, gently picked up the bird and place it in the woods beside the trail. I don’t know if there was any hope for it, but then again, despite an apparently injured wing it could fly a little, so maybe with some rest time in a hidden place it could recover.

Birds became a bit of a theme of the bike ride. I saw a pretty small pure sky blue bird, an oriole and a yellow bird, as well as the “regular” crowd of robins, crows, hostile geese and cardinals.

The sky was also interesting during the ride. While not as hot as it has been, which was nice, the threat of rain seemed not far off, as the sky was filled with storm clouds between patches of blue.

I passed south through Cedar Rapids and went on to Ely. The trail used to end there, but now continues for a mile or so south of town.


End of the trail just south of Ely.


After a photo shoot at Seven Sisters Road, I started the return ride, although I stopped briefly at the park in Ely and watered up.

And then, on the way back north, the clouds opened up. I had just crossed the Bridge of Lions—and, oddly, the sun was shining, but droplets of water began to pelt me. As I neared the Federal Courthouse, the drops became larger and colder, and I worried I would hit some real rain.

Luckily, it was not to be. The isolated shower moved on. As I rode through downtown and by Cedar Lake, the wet pavement make it clear there had been more rain here, but fortunately not while I was riding.

Pond in Ely at park--with sky. Bridge of Lions on way back north, with sky about to start raining on me.


Besides the trail down to Ely, I had done the little spur over to the future bike bride. And when I got near home, I did the paved part of the Lindale Trail, so ensure the ride would total 40 miles.

Then I went home, ate a quick lunch, had a quick shower and by shortly after 3 was snoozing away in our back bedroom. Around 5, I heard voices and came awake.

A grandson was searching the house. I heard a cute little voice say “where is grandpa?” He eventually found me. We played, had supper and I suggested a bike ride to a park.

Unlike the longer earlier ride, I didn’t “Map my Ride” this one—but the grandson, my wife, daughter and I went to the playground at Noelridge Park, and from experience I know the round trip is 4 miles.

So 44 miles of biking, preceded by a birthday marathon finish by one grandson, then the bike ride featuring a bird rescue and ending with a playground break with a lovable 2-year-old.

As you can see, the sky was interesting to look at today. And it was a good day for biking, despite the occasional sprinkles.


Views of Cedar Lake--Catalpa in bloom and, of course, the sky.




No comments:

Post a Comment