Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Hot Time In the Old Town Last Night


How did I feel during my ride Monday?


Well, there you have it. The heat finally got the upper hand, briefly and made me dizzy. It's a good reminder to be careful out there, I suppose. I had planned to do an early ride, but what with one thing and another didn't get on the road until close to noon.

I rode the along the Cedar Valley Trail north, then headed south. I only went as far as the ballpark park next to the power plant, where I had my boxed lunch, then I decided (it was getting past 4) to head home rather than continue this hot, hot ride.

By the time I neared McLoud Run Park on J Street, I was feeling a bit lightheaded. I stopped at the park to cool off for a while, rested, drank, and texted Audrey. She wanted to know whether to come get me, but I figured I would be OK with a few minutes rest.

As it turned out, I was right. But, I'll have to remember, on these hot days, to ride earlier, drink more and take it even easier. It could be a hot RAGBRAI this year, and I need to be ready for heat, but I also shouldn't overdo it.

Anyway, what feverish imaginings were running through my mind? A version of Katy Perry's song “Waking up in Vegas” was--I'm toying with re-writing the lyrics for a parody, the chorus of which would be something like: “Shut up and stick your feet back in your toe clips, that's what you get for waking up on RAGBRAI, stand up and squeeze the sweat out of your shirt now, that's what you get for waking up on RAGBRAI …”

Anybody want to make a spoof music video?


No comments:

Post a Comment