Saturday, June 5, 2021

In Which Heat is Among Biking Complications

Canera
My good camera after my May 29 ride to Robins. Not sure how I damaged it--fortunately, it's just a filter that's shattered, not a part of the lens itself.

Bike at Robins Bridge
I did not realize I had broken the lens filter--which makes for an odd effect on this image of my bike parked at the bridge leading to the Robins city park.

Bike a sunset on bridge
Here and below--shot with a small Canon camera that has no filter damage--bike in late day light May 30 on bridge in Robins.

Bike on bridge

I can’t blame summer, entirely. Today, a beautiful sunny summer day in Iowa, I got exactly zero miles on my bicycle, and today was not the only such day recently.

One nice day this week, I drove with my wife to Des Moines for a final check of a house my youngest son and his life partner are purchasing. My wife and I have done some grandchild-watching in the past week, too, which has eliminated several potential riding days.

Today, I mowed and planted and played with a grandson—and didn’t end up with time for a bike ride. Life is what happens while you’re making other plans. And not riding today may have been for the best, since I still have not had my road bike fixed and I would want my lightest, easiest bike if I were to take a slow and careful ride today.

Because it was hot. It was also very humid. I can’t blame summer entirely, but a ride today would have been a bit brutal.

Still, despite life, I have enjoyed many pleasant recent rides. On May 29, I took my grandson home, then returned to my house, removed the Tag-A-Long seat and rode out to Robins and back. On May 20, I rode 20 miles by going to the end of the nearest leg of the Grant Wood Trail. Memorial Day, I rode 24 miles, going south on the Cedar River Trail for a way. I felt a little “off” that day and had to rest during the ride, but 24 miles on a warm day is not that bad.

My most recent ride, late on Friday, was my first trip out to Lafayette, which totaled almost 22 miles.

So, summer heat may have slowed me some. Mostly, I’ve just been busy—but I hope to get in some more miles this week. Morning miles, I’m thinking, if this heat continues—it got to the low 90s today and was also humid, so I can’t say I regret not biking much.

Many images from recent rides:


Dow

Pausing on ride north--brought water bottle that I had to stop to open, and it was a warm evening.

Pretty late-day light seen at Lafayette (June 4).

Summer sun on Cedar Lake.

Downtown--new flood levee by bike trail.

A small detour before crossing Cedar River.

Young grandson in England loves "diggers." Hope his mom shows him this image.

Part of Cedar River Trail south of river is gravel--I don't know why, that trail was paved last year.

As advertised. Go slow on this part of the trail.

New art in downtown Cedar Rapids by bike trail.

Train reflected in slough near Cedar Lake.

Power lines by Cedar Lake.

Passed by cemetery on Memorial Day.

Memorial Day.

Bright summer sky.

Deer watches me along Grant Wood Trail.

End of the leg of the Grant Wood Trail that I rode.

Plaque along Grant Wood Trail marking buffalo site.

Iris seen on ride.

More summer flowers.

Car passes Memorial Day flags.

No comments:

Post a Comment