Wednesday, November 18, 2020

In Which Wind Stirs Fair Sunsets

Wednesday afternoon--I had parked my bike at the library this morning, opposite end of campus from my office. Had an afternoon meeting, so mid-afternoon I rode to Basile Hall and tied my bike to a sign. This is a bit later, after meeting and after packing up for home, around 4 p.m., bike at sunset.

October started cold and ended warm. November has been a mixed month, in Iowa. We had our first snows early in October, and now are enjoying some fine, sunny, cool fall afternoons.

C Avenue Sunset
C Avenue Sunset on the way home, waiting for light to change at Blairs Ferry Road.

We’re getting to the point of the year where light is precious and shadows a bit long midday, but so far this week, each day has been a good one for a bike commuter.

Today was, for the second half of November, a nice day. A 40 mph wind made my bike ride home uphill most of the way (bikers understand that some hills are swells on the Earth; some are merely moving air). But the temperature flirted with 50, and while it was in the upper 40s by the late afternoon when I started my ride home, I stowed my cold weather riding jacket in the back bag rather than wearing it.

Dry Creek
Dry Creek at the north end of the Boyson Trail.
Hill top
Pretty  sunset at top of Bowman Woods hill.
Going down hill.
As light fades, heading down the hill on Brentwood Drive towards home. I have stopped to make this image, so no, did not shoot while rolling downhill, and I also have lights on.

And on the way home, I headed down the Lindale Trail, headed over to the Boyson Trail and came home by riding over the Bowman Woods hill on Brentwood Drive.

I rode with lights in the morning and lights in the fading sundown—not that surprising, at this time of year. Still, it’s been a good biking week. And it is supposed to be warmer tomorrow.

Map
Map of my afternoon ride. I don't record many maps these days, since I'm not currently training for RAGBRAI, and I usually ride the same route. This bent paperclip is me headed home via the Lindale and Boyson trails.

1 comment:

  1. Your posts make me want to hop on my bike and see how far I can go. Maybe we'll run into each other on one of the trails.

    ReplyDelete