Sunday, January 7, 2018

In Which A Winter Ride Works Despite the Seat


Me after I arrive on campus. Winter biking look, wearing new reflective vest.

Well, the seat slipped all the way down. It compressed the supports for the back light, shoved the reflector off to the side and made the lock a bit difficult to extract.

By the time I got to campus Saturday morning, Jan. 6, 2018, the seat on The Fancy Beast was resting as low as it could go, which made pedaling inefficient. To climb the hill at MMU, I had to stand on the bike—and that’s not good, a fat old man like CR Biker puts a lot of stress on a bike when he stands while going up a hill.

I wasn’t sure riding my bike to campus was a good move in the first place. It was zero out, but I had found my headband, which I wear under my hood and helmet in winter, and I took that as a sign. And I was a bit “bike crazy,” having not ridden yet in 2018.

So I did it.

Sidewalk on C Avenue as I start out. Some snow, but enough bare pavement to ride my mountain bike.

Staub Court, the road with the most snow. It's a little hilly too, which made it a bit exciting, but no slips.

Riding down Eastern Avenue late Saturday morning--some other poor soul out in the cold walking a dog.

Parked in Warde Hall.
The streets were a bit dicey, icey in parts, but I was riding the mountain bike, and I never felt a slip, although I did go slowly.

It took me 40 minutes or so to get to campus, a commute that is under 30 minutes on bare pavement. I was being careful. I’ve fallen before, and have no desire to repeat the experience.

Despite the cold, it was not a bad ride. I was bundled up, in full winter outfit, including long underwear, two pairs of socks, three shirts and warm boots. Honestly, I was sweating a little bit, although my face did suffer a bit from the cold.

Biking has begun! Back at you, 2018, despite your winter cold CR Biker is back on the road! And I did raise my mountain bike seat again. I hope it stays up.

Seat as I lock bike in Warde Hall--it has fallen as low as possible. I fixed it, for now, I hope. The contrasting position (below) after I arrive home in the afternoon.


No comments:

Post a Comment