Sunday, October 15, 2017

In Which I Ride the New Wheel

Grandson ready for first ride using new rear wheel on my hybrid bike.

Yesterday, I went to the bike shop in Marion to retrieve Clarence, there because I had broken my second spoke in a few weeks. At no cost to me, the shop replaced the original rear wheel with a more heavy-duty wheel with truly impressive spokes. The front and back wheels now are superficially the same, although you may notice the back wheel has silver spokes while the front has black.

On closer look, the thickness of the silver spokes in back is very impressive.

Note sure the image does them justice. Very strong looking spokes on new heavy-duty rear wheel.

Anyway, it was raining yesterday, so we took the grandkids down to the Children’s Museum in Coralville. Today was the first chance I had to test the new wheel. After awakening from an afternoon nap, I asked a grandson if he wanted a bike ride (I don’t think he napped, but I felt like rewarding him because I had—he read quietly while I snoozed).

He did want a ride.

So I got Clarence out and hooked up the Tag-A-Long seat. It was cool, breezy and cloudy—temperature about 50, probably felt like mid 40s with wind chill. We headed out and after a block returned home. I had forgotten my cell phone, and we mutually agreed that if we were going to do this ride, we were going to wear gloves.

Still, cool as it was, the ride was pleasant. We headed up to Boyson Road and headed east to the Boyson Trail in Marion. After a quick loop via the Lindale Trail back to C Avenue, I came home. And other grandchildren were waiting, wanting rides, too.

With one granddaughter, I went up to the Rockwell-Collins pond, crossed C Avenue and rode around the company’s HQ, and then stopped at Walgreen’s to buy hot cocoa mix. By the time we got to the store, the sun was starting to show through holes in the cloud covers, and we both put on sunglasses.

As the afternoon ages, the clouds break up and move out. A grey 50 is a chilling experience, but a sunny 50 feels much nicer. Rockwell-Collins pond as sun is just about to clear clouds.

Four grandchildren were staying with me this weekend, but, unfortunately, one has a cold, and we didn’t think it was a good idea for her to ride in the windy cool. There was, however, the oldest granddaughter to give a ride to.

I again headed up C Avenue, circled the pond, then went down the Lindale Trail. We rode to Thomas Park, and then came back again via the Lindale Trail.

Seen on Boyson Trail on final of three bike rides, as day finally turns sunny at the end.

All in all, I biked a bit more than 10 miles with three kids. The bike felt good, and I didn’t mind the windy, chilly day. I make a lot of heat while biking.

And there was hot cocoa when I got home.
Final bike ride of the day--oldest granddaughter reacts as sun comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment