Wednesday, September 27, 2017

In Which Summer Heat Lasts Till the Wobble Appears

Cloud shadows in the morning Sept. 21.


The light is fading away from the Northern Hemisphere. Time to check the lights.

Despite the fading morning and afternoon suns, summer heat and drought has been the theme of recent biking in Iowa. That finally changed this week. While it wasn’t by any means a gully washer, some rain fell Monday into Tuesday, and suddenly the humid 90s have been replaces by cool 70s.

I felt I was melting at the start of this week. Now I wear a sweater for morning rides.

This morning was a bit frustrating. I was all set to leave home early and get to work well before 8—but I noticed an odd wobble as I got close to the Rockwell-Collins crossing. I thought something was wrong with my front wheel due to the wobble, but it seemed true. Then I looked back at the rear wheel.

Wobble. Wobble. Wobble. If felt like it came from the front, but in fact it was the back wheel that was bippity bopping as I rode. “Looks like a broken spoke” I thought to myself, and when I stopped, hopped off the bike and checked, sure enough, myself was correct.

Well, I was much closer to home than work, so I turned back and swapped bikes.

It meant I didn’t get in early, as I had hoped to. But I did, at least, get to ride a bit more in a pleasantly cool morning, which is nice to experience after our long, hot September.

Here are a bunch of images of recent rides showing the beauty of the fall skies, whether hot or seasonal in temperature.

Early sun at Blairs Ferry Road (above) and Rockwell-Collins pond (below).


Ones above are last week-this is this morning, Sept. 27.

Cedar Lake.


Morning shadow.

Cedar Lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment