Sunday, August 21, 2022

In Which Summer Ends on New Trails

Family with bikes
Aug. 13--Ready for a ride to C Avenue Park with grandson, wife and daughter.

I’m back to commuting rides—more rides, fewer miles. Whatever. The recent days in Iowa have been almost ideal biking days, and I can only hope that when I retire in just a few years, I’ll have a bit more time (and ability) to enjoy biking on them.

Recent rides have featured some trails that are new or newish to me. I used a new route on the way home Friday, going along the Cemar Trail, up First Avenue, and approaching C Avenue’s bike lane from the east rather than from the west. I did some extra riding out to the Catholic cemetery, so I can’t really compare miles to my traditional western route, but the eastern way is one that I’ll ride a few more times to determine its viability (the biggest reason was that one of the streets by campus is closed by some utility project, and thus I have to adjust my ride anyway.)

New trail behind Amaco
Aug. 13--Behind Popeyes and Amaco, start of new trail heading east.

C Avenue and Blairs Ferry road work
Aug. 19--Work at corner of C Avenue and Blairs Ferry Road.

Bike in Menards bike rack
Aug. 20--Parking at Menards to buy batteries for lights. Bike rack doesn't look new, but I've never used it before. I didn't realize it was there and always tied to a pillar at the store.

Lights
Aug. 20--Changing depleted batteries for some bike lights.

Meanwhile, work on the new extension east of the Grant Wood-Lindale Trail continues. A tiny stretch of the new trail behind the Amaco station is now open, and crews are working at the corner of C Avenue and Blairs Ferry Road. I look forward in coming weeks to trying this new trail extension.

I’m still enjoying the mountain bike trails off of the Boyson Trail—in fact, I raised the seat on my mountain bike so that it’s more comfortable to ride, and when it’s dry, I often take a short spin on the easier of these 2 trails. I also got my bikes more ready for fall rides by putting new batteries in lights. School commuting will inevitably lead to some night riding.

Bike seat
Aug. 13--Yes, I know, I need to replace the seat. At least it's up a bit, which makes The Fancy Beast more comfortable to ride.

Trail sign
Sign for side trail off of Boyson Trail. There are two, one branches off the other. The "not branch" trail is easier and can be ridden, in dry conditions, with a hybrid bike. Still, liking having a mountain bike for these trails.

Mountain trail
Aug. 13--Looking at the mountain bike trail. There is a grassy area and a woodsy area.

Another trail
Not really a mountain bike trail, but a short side trail off of the Boyson Trail.

Trail bridge
Aug. 13--Narrow bridge on mountain bike trail.

Trees
Aug. 13--Close passage between two trees on the more challenging of the side trails off of the Boyson Road Trail.

Between the mountain bike trails and the new creek trail off of the Boyson Trail, it feels that my late summer rides are featuring some new places. Nice! Year to date, 1,807.43 miles; August, 225.19 miles.

And, just because it’s me, here’s a whole bunch of pretty images from recent rides:

Aug. 13 ride--images from Lindale Trail plus flowers and butterflies seen on mountain bike trails off of the Boyson Trail:












Aug 17 rides: Some from Noelridge Park, some from Cedar Lake, deer on Lindale Trail, flood control construction along street near Cedar Lake:












 Aug. 19: Clouds on work commute:


Aug. 20: Ride to Menards for batteries, deer along Lindale Trail, most images near Menards end of trail:










No comments:

Post a Comment