Saturday, April 9, 2022

In Which Hostile Dinos Don’t Spoil the Day

Grand Wood Trail
Grant Wood Trail April 9, warm sunshine.

Lindale Trail
April 8--A bit of snow on grass beside Lindale Trail.

In the past week, I’ve been on the bike for a bit more than 70 miles.

Given that I have not bought the inner tubes to fix the hybrid and the road bikes, that means all of those miles on The Fancy Beast, my creaky old mountain bike. So, I’m pretty OK with 70 miles in one week.

And what a week! The shift from Friday to Saturday helps illustrate. Thursday was too wet and cold for riding, and Thursday night into Friday morning, snow fell.

Just a dusting, but it was chilly and damp Friday. I was a bit worried that there might be slick spots, but the sun came out and I decided to chance it. And when I got on the road, I ended up doing an extra loop on the local trail just to enjoy being on the bike again.

The day ended up being breezy and cool, but I did like riding.

Saturday, in contrast, was sunny and warm. Crocuses are suddenly everywhere, early daffodils are starting and lots of new young plants are sprouting on the warming ground.

Daffadils by Warde Hall
April 5--I detour a bit going from library to my office. I ride my bike to some gardens at MMU to make images, like this one of daffodils almost in bloom at Warde Hall.

Sunshine on street
April 5--Cool, but sunny afternoon ride home. Lots of clouds, wind and rain this week, but this was one of the nicer days.

I was with family for most of the day, which was pleasant. I finally headed out on my bike a few minutes after 5. I hadn’t gone there yet this year, so I went east to head down the Grant Wood Trail.

Besides being sunny and warm—not the norm this week—a south wind was blowing, which meant no headwind in either direction. And the south wind today was relatively tame compared to the many windy days earlier in the week.

I was making good time, and took a selfie during my mid-ride break at the end of the first leg of the Grant Wood Trail.

When I headed back west towards town, I paused for a few minutes at Waldo’s Rock Park. As I sat on a bench and enjoyed a small bag of nuts, a nearby blackbird scolded me. Then, as I circled the pond there, I paused when I saw a large goose gliding stately towards me.

As it neared, it bobbed its head, a threat display. I though it was a bit weird for a goose to go to that effort (cross most of a pond to sass at me), then I noticed a second goose resting in grass nearby, on a large nest.

Oh. Spring. Defending the nest. Well, OK blackbirds and geese, I’ll leave you be. Even angry dinosaurs could not spoil the nice ride today. The nicest in a week, where I had to tough it out for some of those 70 miles.

Grant Wood Trail
Images from April 9 ride--Sun going down on Lindale Trail as I'm close to finishing ride.

Grand Wood Trail
Turn around point, end of first leg of Grant Wood Trail east of Marion.

This and below, sunshine on cattail seeds beside trail.


goose
Goose moves across pond to defend its nest.

Cat
Cat rests by Grant Wood Trail.

Sunset
Another image of sunset on Lindale Trail.

Snow
Friday, snow melting by Lindale Trail.


Me on ride April 9.



No comments:

Post a Comment