Sunday, November 28, 2021

In Which We See New Bridges

First look, heading east to go under First Avenue on new underpass.

Heading back, going west under First Avenue.

New bridge and underpass, looking west to First Avenue.

My sister asked me if I had ridden under First Avenue yet, in response to a Facebook post. I had not.

So today, on a quick late afternoon ride to campus, I decided, on the way home, to head over to the trail.

Shadows on the street in front of MMU as I cycle to campus.

Riding up the Hill at MMU, arriving on campus. Pretty afternoon sunshine on Warde Hall.
A murder on campus! Of crows, which I see while leaving campus.

Well, it was a very nice digression. Passing under First Avenue, going from a residential neighborhood through a light industrial area, then by a cemetery, to where the trail ends.

It was a very pretty afternoon—late enough I had lights on, as it gets dark early in late November. But, the low sun made everything glow, the new underpass is very nice. And even if the trail doesn’t lead anywhere yet, it’s another sign of how trails are growing in the Cedar Rapids area.

Approaching First Avenue at 29th Street on new part of Cemar Trail.

Approaching underpass, riding north on new trail beside First Avenue.
Riding east on short let of trail after passing under First Avenue.
Turned around, now heading west back towards First Avenue.

Almost back to Fist Avenue, bridge in front, Raining Rose Factory on my left.

It was the second time in one day that I saw different ends of one part of that growth. Earlier, an afternoon walk took me along the Boyson Trail to the Lindale Trail. A new bridge is being built over 7th Avenue in Marion as the Lindale Trail is being joined with the Grant Wood Trail.

Within a couple of years, the Boyson-Cemar-Grant Wood Trails will join central Cedar Rapids with uptown Marion. Thus a new almost all-trail route between my house and Mount Mercy will also be open.

New bridges. New trails. A good time to be a biker in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

Seeing new Milwaukee Road Bridge from Boyson Trail--"Live Like Ur Dying."
New bridge viewed on afternoon walk. Some months before it will be opened.

 


 

 









No comments:

Post a Comment