Tuesday, October 12, 2021

In Which I Walk and Ride into Fall

Backbone State Park
The kind of day it was Saturday. Walking at Backbone State Park.

Saturday, Oct. 9—My wife and I drove to meet family at Backbone State Park north of Cedar Rapids. We spent the day hiking pretty trails (which were also slightly frightening for an old man who is scared of heights).

It was a nice way to spend a pleasant day. And after we got home, knowing that rain was coming for Sunday, I took a quick evening ride out to Lowe Park.

I felt pretty macho going on even a quick ride after the long hikes. My wife and I did a 30-day challenge in September that involved more frequent walks, and although that month is over, we’ve continued the habit. As a result, I think I’m a better biker, too, partly because I’ve shed a few pounds.

My bike at Lowe Park on Saturday.

Biker at Lowe Park
It was getting a bit dusky by the time I rode to Lowe Park, me and my bike with its lights on.

The rain moved in and today was the first day fit again for riding. It was also the final day of classes before fall break at the university where I teach.

I usually use the hybrid bike for commuting, but again rode the road bike today. I had to give an exam in the morning, but knew I would probably leave a bit earlier than usual, and planned to circle Cedar Lake on the way home.

The plan worked well. Around 3, when I left my office, I first zoomed down a grassy hill to a vegetable garden on campus, to harvest some tomatoes and also to shoot some images of afternoon butterflies.

Butterfly near Basile Hall
I don't think this one is cheating as much as the Backbone image. I actually rode my bike to the garden near Basile Hall at Mount Mercy University to make this image before starting my ride to the lake.

Sunny this morning after Monday's rain. Clouds moved in later, but the sky was blue as I ride my bike past the C Avenue Collins Aerospace pond during the morning commute.

Then, I rode to the lake. As it turned out, there is some project underway at the south end, and I couldn’t circle the full lake, but I still enjoyed the partly sunny, cool fall afternoon.

It’s still an unusually warm October. In a normal year, we’d be thinking about the first frost. Not this year. But at least it felt like a pretty fall day and not a summer one.

Then, it was time to head home. I had a date with my wife. To go on a walk, which is a thing we’re doing more of now.

Bike at Cedar Lake 1.

Bike and lake.
Bike at Cedar Lake 2.

Birds in flight
Trio of gulls fly over Cedar Lake.

Construction zone
Today, circling the whole lake is not an option.

Triker leaves lake.
A trike rider passes by headed downtown. It's not my sister. It's a Not Cate.

Fall flower
Flower. Because.

Workers at bridge
Watching the work at the lake trail.

Trail closed sign
Close look at trail closed sign.

signs at construction zone
Medium look at signs.

Bike in rack
Bike parked behind Warde Hall. Starting to look a bit like fall.


No comments:

Post a Comment