Monday, August 9, 2021

In Which Summer Concludes with 40 Miles

Fawns
Early in the ride, here and next 2 images--fawns and doe seen in Dry Creek from C Avenue Bridge.

Fawns

Doe

“Go for a ride early before it gets too hot,” she said. Which was not a bad plan—except I did not wake up until 9 a.m. It was 11 by the time I headed out.


My goal was to ride 30 miles. But if it went well, I also thought I might ride a bit more.

I headed down to campus, intending to then take the Cedar River Trail south. I was slightly delayed—there were distracting flowers and students taking part in distracting activities, and I had my good camera with me and spent some time making images.

But I eventually made it to the trail. At Cedar Lake, I saw a heron take flight, which was fun. When I got down past the Federal Courthouse, on to the minor detour at the African-American museum, I stopped at Goldfinch Cyclery. I was riding my road bike Argent, which was recently fixed at that shop, and when I picked it up, the valves didn’t have their rubber caps—the staff member I spoke with was helpful and quickly got me two.

Heron
Heron takes off from Cedar Lake.

New cover on front wheel
Here and below, I put on the new valve covers while parked outside the bike shop.

 New cover on rear wheel

I kept going south, taking it easy on a hot summer afternoon—possibly the unofficial last ride of summer as fall syllabi are crying out for editing and lectures for prep. I’m not ready for it, but summer is pretty much over.

I went down to Ely and had passed 15 miles which would make for a 30 mile ride. I ate a snack at the park and then proceeded south, intending to turn around when I reach close to 20 miles to make for a 40-mile ride.

I paused to make some images of a goldfinch, which was cool to see. As I headed south, I thought I was fading a bit. So, I turned back a bit early.

Goldfinch
South of Ely, state bird of Iowa, a goldfinch, eats thistle seeds.

I took one final break at Cedar Lake and decided to head back via the trail and Noelridge Park. Because that route is slightly longer than the route via campus, despite the early turnaround, I ended up getting 40 miles.

I have taken far fewer long rides this summer than in the past. Then again, I was not training for RAGBRAI. In a typical summer, I would do some 60-mile days and maybe even a century, so 40 miles is not all that much.

But I got in 40 miles on a warm day when I didn’t even hit the road until 11 a.m., and I rode 10 miles beyond my original goal. All in all, a good day, a good way to celebrate summer’s end.

Lots of images, because, hey, let’s picture summer:

Bike at MMU
Brief stop at MMU campus. Bikes start to show up in bike racks. Early students arriving.

Heron
Heron at Cedar Lake.

Signs
South end of town--heart signs start to appear.

Sign near Ely
Sign near Ely.

Reflections
Eating snack at Ely Park. Reflections of trail traffic in pond.

Bikers
Bikers reflected in pond.

Pond
Dragonfly on patrol at Ely pond.

Butterfly
South of Ely, swallowtail butterfly.

Dress on metal
Yard decoration near south end of Ely.

Tin man and witch
Tin Man and Witch near ice cream shop in Ely.

Oz figures
Two from Oz in Ely.

Tin Man
Oz never gave nothing this guy that he didn't already have.

Bike, truck
A classic vehicle. And a truck. Near Oz figures in Ely.

Witch
Wicked Witch of Ely.

Witch
She has the red shoes on.

Mural
New mural near biker bar (bicycle style biker bar) just north of the river.

Detail of mural
Detail of mural.

Mural under bridge
Near African-American museum, new mural under a bridge, detail.

Figure in mural
Another part of mural.

Flag in mural
More in mural.

Bike by river
Bike in sand my river.

Sky
Sky early in ride--clouds. But it cleared off, got sunny and hot.

Bike on campus
My bike parked near library at MMU campus.

Mural
One reason some redundant images--these final ones are from a different camera. Mural by bar.

Figure in mural
Figure in mural under bridge.

Mural
Final look at mural.

No comments:

Post a Comment