Tuesday, January 12, 2021

In Which my Wife is the Heroine of Bike Repairs

Bike at lake
Photos of the Fancy Beast on the Jan. 12 lake tour.



Bike at Noeridge Park.
Sunset at Noelridge Park, above and below.


I missed a few days of biking last week, and I regret it because bike days can be precious in January.

The city cleared away the snow wall at Collins and C Avenue, yay! But last Tuesday, the rear tyre on my mountain bike was flat. I did not have time during the week to fix it, and I did not feel comfortable yet riding the hybrid bike due to ice and snow.

Collins crossing.
No mountain of snow blocking my way on C Avenue at Collins Road--image Jan. 9.

 

Clarence
Late Saturday, about to take my hybrid bike Clarence out for a short spin.
 

But by Saturday, it had been sunny for enough days to try the hybrid. That ride turned out to be short only because I got a message that a son was available to video chat along with his young son, and biking is important but grandchild time comes first.

Sunday, my wife and I bought some supplies at Wal-Mart, including a tyre tube for the Fancy Beast.

But I could not get the job done—I could not get the tyre to pop off the rim. My wife came to the rescue, first by finding my second tyre lever tool, and then taking her turn at trying to get the tyre off.

The flat. And "atomic aluminum?"

Success! Score one for my wife. I do think my finger splint was a factor—turns out that your dominant hand index finger has a role in tyre maintenance, and mine is still immobilized due to the Great Bean Insurrection of 2020. Mostly, I’m glad I’m married to a strong female who, even if she rides far less than I do, still supports my biking habit. And thank goodness nothing crazy like another insurrection is possible in 2021!

So, Monday and Tuesday turned into biking days. The sunshine was so tempting Tuesday that I left work at 4 and rode home via Cedar Lake and the Cedar River Trail. The ride there and the ride around the lake were very pretty on a warmish winter afternoon in the mid 30s. It was dark by the time I got home, but at least it was 5 and I was almost there before darkness fell.

A cold snap is due in a few days. Stuff from the sky may fall. Mother Nature may cause a biking pause, as she does now and then, but in the meantime, here are many, many images from the ride today and other recent rides:

Cedar Lake.

Cedar Lake.

Cedar Lake.

Cedar Lake.

Cedar Lake.

Cedar Lake.

Cedar Lake.

Cedar Lake.

Christmas lights seen on ride home.

Christmas lights seen on ride home.

Not Christmas lights seen on ride home. Traffic on Collins Road.

Christmas lights seen on ride home.

Jan. 11--Morning light at Blairs Ferry.

Back to today, Jan. 12. Daniels Park.

Cedar Lake.

Cedar Lake.

Cedar Lake.

Cedar Lake.

Cedar Lake.

Cedar Lake.

Cedar Lake.

Cedar River Trail. Some walkers and riders at lake, but trail was quiet farther north.

Empty lot in town on way home, I just liked the light ant the single trail of footsteps.

Early evening sky at Noelridge Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment