Saturday, June 13, 2020

In Which More Than 67 Mile Creep By

Lake at city park
Morning break at Waldos Rock Park.

Sunshine on trail in the morning
Grant Wood Trail in morning ride.

So last week, I took advantage of a nice Saturday to go on my longest ride of the summer, heading south to Ely and finding the trail to Solon.

That was a 50-mile ride. Today was sunny, gorgeous and cooler, with a morning in the 50s and the afternoon high in the low 70s. So I decided my goal would be 60 miles. I new that the end of the Grant Wood Trail contiguous leg was 10 miles from my house, so there and back would be 20 miles, and I figured getting the rest of the miles by heading north.

Tool.
Tool--fixed loose mirror 10 miles into ride.

Mirror
Mirror after fixed. It was loose. I tightened it.

Painted rock.
Painted rock at base of sign at end of trail.

I was a bit faded soon after I started. I felt a bit ill on the Boyson Trail only 3 miles from home, and worried that my plans were derailed. I stopped, drank, rested a minute, and started riding more slowly.

When I got to the section of the Grant Woods Trail in town, I was more than 5 miles from home, and starting to feel better. I decided to keep going, and rode to the end of the trail. I decided to rest at Waldos Rock Park in Marion, adjacent to trail, just to be taking care.

Then I rode past home and headed to the Cedar Valley Nature Trail. At the Hiawatha Trail Head, I thought it would be snack time. But it was close to 11, I was at 20 miles by that point, so I decided to eat the peanut butter sandwich, Cheezits and raisins.

I then got water at the park in Robins.

The ride north was pleasant. Maybe too pleasant. I started making good time, and I knew what that meant.

Periwinkle
Flowers seen on ride today.




Add caption


Bikers, you know what I mean. If you find yourself riding, and you feel powerful and are making good time, eventually you figure out you have a tailwind. Which means when you turnaround, the wind will no longer be your friend.

I snacked at Center Point and kept going north, intending to turn around when I had gone far enough to get 60 miles in on the ride. I also wanted to pass under the interstate, just because that’s a fun tunnel. Dong the math, I figured 17 miles on the trail, 3 miles from the trail to home, if I was at 40 or more at miles it was time to turn around. And that was my plan, so I parked my bike at mile 17 and did a bit of a  photo shoot.

But a family rode by. It reminded me I was close to Urbana, exactly how close, I was not sure. So I rode on, and it was only a couple of miles away.

I rested for a few minutes in Urbana and then headed south. I took several breaks on the way—the afternoon was wearing on and I was tiring. At one trailhead, I even lay down on a bench for a few minutes, not to nap, but to elevate my slightly swollen feet.

In the end, despite, the weird start, I went well beyond my goal. It was a good day for a ride.  Views of my bike today during the ride:



















No comments:

Post a Comment