Saturday, May 9, 2020

In Which There is Beauty and Danger


Crabapple tree frames cupola of Warde Hall at MMU.

Quick bike rides Friday and Saturday—Friday was a cool day, and I worked most of the day, getting my ride in late in the afternoon.

I had attended a zoom employee recognition meeting at Mount Mercy University, and it put in a mood to see campus and make some images of the spring flowers there, that sadly most of the community can’t be there to experience.

I donned a mask and got my road bike out. Due to the chill, I think, my glasses got rather fogged up, which made it hard to see. That may have led to the danger.

Quiet street on my ride to campus. Nicer than crowded trails.


I cycled up the big hill behind the library, then down the drive by the convent. A new sidewalk was put in place by the drive, and I rode up that to get close to a pretty crab apple tree. But at the end of the sidewalk, there was a surprise gap at the end of walk. I luckily saw it just before I hit it and tried to stop. I didn’t quite make it, and slammed into the hole.

The hole that stopped me (above). Later, on a different sidewalk (near Lundy), shadow of a biker (below).


At slow enough speed that I was lucky. I didn’t seem to do any damage to the front wheel, nor to my body.

Luckily, the campus was pretty, and I think I reached my goal of getting some nice images.

Redbud (above) near Lundy at MMU. Crab apple (below) near Warde Hall.


Saturday was warmer. I worked all morning, and in the afternoon spent time planting and cutting out some rogue trees.

It was hard work, but I felt like I needed a break at the end it—time for another evening bike ride. This time, I went out to Lowe Park, one of my favorite nearby destinations for a quick ride. It was warmer today, and one advantage I had was that caused less mask fogging, so less danger.

Not zero danger. There were some awesome looking clouds heading in from the west, with the possibility of rain coming. Luckily it did not rain before I got home, so two successful quick rides.

Lowe Park Trail--blackbird guards his territory.

Caterpillar walks on Lowe Park Trail.

Above and below--flowers near art gallery in Lowe Park.


More blackbirds on guard on stub of trail leading to Echo Hill School and new school being built.

Dandelions by trail that leads to schools.

Happy it did not rain before I got home, and since I planted today, would not mind some rain tonight.

Lindale Trail. Headed up Boyson Trail and took the Lindale Trail back to my neighborhood.

Above and below--crabapple trees near Walgreens on C Avenue.


Another sky image. This is drive at middle school next to Lowe Park Trail.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment