Sunday, November 17, 2019

In Which I Try the New Computer

New computer on road bike. It comes with two holders, so I'll use it on hybrid bike, too.

My wife kindly purchased a GPS computer for my bike for my birthday. I had delayed using it, because it involved installing a new app on my phone, and my phone intimidates me too much.

But Saturday I decided I needed to get out and enjoy the fine, cool day. So after an afternoon nap, I unpacked the computer, installed the app and put the computer on my road bike.

It was after 4 p.m., so the ride was destined to be a fairly short one. I headed out to the Cedar Valley Nature Trial, thinking I might do the run to Lafayette.

No, I didn’t get that far. Darkness was closing in as I got near the cutoff to the Robins park, so I decided to head over there—but the bridge was so snowy that I decided riding in the potentially slick woodsy trail as darkness fell was probably not a great life plan, so I instead designated the bridge as my turn-around point and headed home.
View from bridge as I turn towards home.

Looking west on trial as sun slips below horizon.

Deer beside trail.

What caused me to second guess my route choice.
The new computer is very nice. I like being able to see my speed as I go, and the display even lights up automatically as light fades. I still have to figure out the app—I don’t know how to record rides, yet.

But I’ve entered a new era of GPS biking. And I got more than 11 miles in on a cool Saturday. A few more images of the ride (and the computer):

End of the ride (blue glow is from lights on my bike).

Another sunset image.

Another picture from bridge as I head home.

2 comments:

  1. I find technology to be intimidating as well! When my parents bought me a new GPS for my car, I refused to use it for the first 3 months because I thought that the programming was daunting. However, since I got the hang-of-it, I use it all the time. I also enjoyed the images in this post, it feels as though we went on the ride with you! Also, happy late birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool pictures,I hope you get the hang of your new bike GPS computer!

    ReplyDelete