Wednesday, March 20, 2019

In Which We Learn Why Rivers Flood

Spring sun shines on ice at Ada Hayden Park in Ames. Despite frozen lakes. the ride Monday in Ames was pleasant.
Just in time for spring break, a bit of warmer biking weather has arrived. I have not had time for a long ride yet, and am plowing away at a mountain of grading over the next couple of days, but still, I have managed some pleasant rides.

My wife and I took Monday off to visit our youngest son in Ames—to take him out for lunch, go on a bike ride, hang around for the afternoon and take him out for supper, all to celebrate his freshly earned pHd in math.

We pause to make group image during Monday bike ride in a park in Ames. Bikes (below) are part of public art seen in downtown Ames.


We had a pleasant, if cool, ride around the late at Ada Hayden Park in Ames. Twice around added up to about 7 miles.

Today, it was warmer, but also cloudier and breezier. I had about 90 minutes in the late afternoon that I could devote to biking, so I decided to take my first trip north along the Cedar Valley Nature Trail. And just north of Robins, I unexpectedly reached and early turn-around point, as the trail was suddenly covered in sodden snow.

Three images of where I decided to turn around, north of Robins on the Cedar Valley Nature Trail. A few more warm days needed before this ride.



Well, no run to Lafayette today. I was heading north rather than south because I knew the trail by the river was probably flooded, and seeing how much snow there was still in parts of the countryside perhaps explains why.

Still, today I managed a bit over 14 miles. Does that mean 28 on Wednesday and 56 Thursday? Let’s not talk of Friday.

Two final images from Thursday. Snow beside the trail at the old mile marker sign one mile north of the Boyson Trail Head (above). Newer mile markers that start somewhere else have been installed, too.

Saw these two ducks in small creek as I passed behind Harding Middle School on my way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment